http://www.makepovertyhistory.org Bloggreen: Last day

Friday, September 16, 2005

Last day

Tomorrow the people of Aotearoa will go to the polls to decide the fate of the nation for the next three years and in some policy areas, beyond that. This campaign has been the closest in my memory and probably the dirtiest. It has been long and gruelling and very tiring. But the highlight for me has been talking to people on the street and restoring my faith that this country is bursting with people with vision. When I go and vote tomorrow I am going to vote with that vision in mind. I am going to vote with the hope that over the next three years we will have a Government that will be brave enough to deal with the effect the global energy crisis is having on this cuontry. I am going to vote with hope that our Government will turn its investment eye towards our children and their children and shift our economic investment from the bottom of the cliff to the top. I am going to vote with hope that my children will be able to enjoy this beautiful country as well as I have. I am going to vote with hope that we as a nation will have the courage to stand up to the idea that this planet has infinite resources. And I am going to vote for a future Aotearoa based on honouring Te Tiriti o Waitangi, because this world will never move on from colonialist attitudes towards people and the environment until we respect, honour and celebrate difference and diversity. I hope all the readers of this blog will vote tomorrow and I hope you all vote with vision and hope. To all the people who have worked on this election, from all political persuasions, thank you. The fact that we don't have to use violence to exercise our democratic right to participate in the governing of this nation is a truly wonderful thing. Kei a koe te mana!

1 Comments:

At 9/16/2005 01:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck for tomorrow! Party Vote Green!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home