http://www.makepovertyhistory.org Bloggreen: Zzzzz - so what!

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Zzzzz - so what!

OK, so David Benson-Pope had a wee nap in Parliament. So what? I mean, can we just remember that contrary to popular belief they are human beings? I agree that it's not really appropriate to be snoozing off in the House, but who hasn't nodded off in a lecture, or at work. I think we should just remember for a moment that (most) MPs do work exceedingly hard for incredibly long hours. If I was an MP and was so exhausted that I nodded off in the House, I would certainly prefer a gentle nudge from a colleague to wake up and maybe go have a nap in my office, than have my little snooze broadcast to the entire electorate and have my record as an MP judged on it.

2 Comments:

At 3/20/2005 03:58:00 PM, Blogger Miramar Mike said...

Whilst I agree that they are just human I do think sleeping on the job in front of your customers (ie, NZ public) is pretty dumb.

I can honestly say I've never fallen asleep in a lecture or at work.

If I was that damned tired I didn't go to the lecture or left work.

 
At 3/23/2005 11:07:00 AM, Blogger Aucklander At Large said...

I think it highlights just how over worked members of parliament are.

I used to work for Benson-Pope when he was a backbencher and then government whip. He would often fly in from Dunedin for a 6:30am meeting, and still be working well past midnight. It hardly surprises me that he fell asleep in the house...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home