http://www.makepovertyhistory.org Bloggreen: A mighty kahikatea has fallen

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A mighty kahikatea has fallen

I couldn't think of a more apt description of Kevin. For those of you how knew Kevin Smith, the first thing that you will remember is his delightful cynicysm. But the other thing you remember is a man with a heart and soul bigger than any you will ever meet. Kevin Smith, current advisor to Chris Carter and former head of Forest and Bird passed away suddenly yesterday, while out cycling. Kevin will be remembered by many as for being a ruthless lobbyist, a deep cynic, having a biting sense of humour but most of all a tremendous vision as to how we can live sustainably on this planet. I remember one day running into Kevin on the street and asking him how he was doing and he relpied "oh, you know, selling my soul to the devil". This was typical of Kevin, always realistic of the state of the world but with a steady resolve to do his bit to make it a better place for our children and grandchildren. For me, I will remember Kevin as partner and wonderful support to my dear friend Tania. The relationship those two share is truly inspirational and it pains me to think how hard this must be for her. But I know that loving family, friends and colleagues will be there to support her, I will certainly be among them. So I say goodbye and thank you to a great man, an inspirational man, and a man who made a real difference to the protection of this land. Whaia e koe ki te iti kahurangi ki te tuohu koe me Maunga Teitei Toitu he whenua Whatungarongaro he tangata

1 Comments:

At 8/18/2005 03:15:00 PM, Blogger Kakariki said...

If anyone who knew Kevin is wanting to go to the funeral, email me and I'll let you know the details. Or check the papers...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home