http://www.makepovertyhistory.org Bloggreen: Rod Donald, friend, colleague, leader, great man

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Rod Donald, friend, colleague, leader, great man

I think one of the hardest things about moving to another country is when you're not long gone and you hear the news of a friend or family members death. I was woken this morning by a phone call to inform me that Rod passed away last night. I honestly don't know how I feel about this yet. I have spent a good part of this morning in tears, mourning the loss of a very good friend and an important mentor. Rod has got to be one of the most committed, hard-working, inspirational people I've ever met. He is a major reason why the Greens are where they are today. His ability to see what needs to be done, how it should be done, and who should do it was incredible. But what was most amazing about Rod was the efficiency in which he got stuff done and the inclusive way in which he went about it. I have so many wonderful memories of Rod, far too many to list here. But I will say that on a personal level Rod has been a fantastic support for me. His door was always open and I could always talk to him about anything. I will miss him dearly. I had planned to meet up with Rod in Melbourne in a couple of weeks for a beer and I guess that won't happen now. But I will have a drink in his honour tonight. So thank you Rod, from the bottom of my heart for all of your wonderful work. And all my best wishes go out to the Donald whanau and the Green Party as a whole. Especially that wonderful woman behind the man, Rod's PA. Bron is a complete star and one of the main reasons why Rod has been able to acheive what he has done. I really wish I could be there to give her a hug right now. Toitu he whenua Whatungarongaro he tangata Arohanui

2 Comments:

At 11/06/2005 04:53:00 PM, Blogger David Farrar said...

When I heard the news, I thought of you - I know how awful this must be for those who worked with Rod.

 
At 11/06/2005 07:25:00 PM, Blogger Rafz said...

New Zealand politics will sadly miss this intelligent man of principles...Thanks for caring Rod.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home