http://www.makepovertyhistory.org Bloggreen: That Foundation with so much membership...

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

That Foundation with so much membership...

I was rather amused to hear that the notorious Flannagans have reinvented themselves as a Foundation. I have such fond memories of those two from when I was a young student at Waikato University. My favourite memory would have to be having Mr Flannagan tutor one of classes in Social and Moral Philosophy. When we covered the abortion topic, we had the lovely delight of having Matthew's Masters paper as our compulsory reading (which I wish I still had a copy of...). Anyway, in my enthusiastic, first-year naievity I assumed that my essay on the topic would be marked on the merits of my argument, not whether I agreed with my tutor or not. Silly me. Incidentally, this was just after the scandal errupted after the Flannagans went to the States to protest against abortion, alledgedly using student union funds, but I can't quite remember the details of that one. I remember a couple of years ago running into some execcies from OUSA and they said to me 'hey, have you ever heard of the Flannagan's?', I chuckled and said 'yeah, why?' to which they replied 'they've moved to Dunedin...'. I think I managed to stop laughing long enough to console them and wish them luck.. And again talking about Dunedin, I have not yet said how impressed I am by the Critic website. Take note other student mags, this site is great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home